Like us on Facebook
Dum Aloo belongs to specifically Kashmiri Cuisine. The potatoes are first deep-fried and then cooked on slow flame in spicy gravy. Kashmir is a very cold region and this hot spicy dum aloo recipe is ideal for the climate of Kashmir. Kashmir is also famous for spices, saffron and dry fruits which makes the dishes even richer. I love the balance of flavors and richness in the dish.
In this dish potato is the key. Usually baby potatoes are used in any dum aloo gravy. But you can use regular potatoes chopped in big chunks. In this recipe I used spices along with tomato puree, mawa, paneer & fresh cream which makes it even richer.
Potatoes – 4
Tomato puree – 2 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1tbsp
Green chilli chopped – 1
Boiled cashew-nut paste – 2 tbsp
Fresh cream – 1 tbsp
Mawa – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2tbsp
Cumin seed – ¼ tsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Kasuri methi – ¼ tsp
Kitchen king powder – ¼ tsp
Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – a pinch
Scooped potato – 1 tbsp
Grated paneer – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Kasuri methi – ⅛ tsp
Dry nuts(raisins, cashew-nut, almonds) – 1 tbsp
Salt – as taste
Fresh cream – 1 tsp
Grated mawa – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves chopped – 1 tsp
- Wash & peeled the potatoes, cut it into half lengthwise into two.
- Keep the potatoes in boiling water for 5 mins and drain them and then fry the potatoes.
- Scoop them for filling & keep aside.
- Now make the filling, take a pan add oil, heat it, add cumin seeds. When it crackle add all the remaining ingredients & saute till done.
- Now take a kadhai, add oil & cumin seeds. When it crackle add ginger garlic paste, saute for a minute, add tomato puree, green chilli, boiled cashew-nut paste, salt, turmeric powder, kasoori methi, kitchen king & red chilli powder, saute till oil separates.
- Add grated mawa & fresh cream cook for few minutes.
- Now takes potato, fill filling in potatoes & cook them with gravy for 5 minutes then serve in plates, pour gravy on it.
- Garnish with cream & fresh coriander leaves and grated mawa.
Enjoy your Kashmiri Dum Aloo.